Women in need of gynecology or obstetrics services in Jefferson, St. Lawrence, and Lewis counties can find caring, compassionate care at Carthage Area Hospital. Doctors, nurses, and staff provide personalized women’s wellness services.
OB/GYN care providers understand that each patient is unique with individual needs and concerns. Whether a patient is seeking a doctor for gynecological care or pregnancy and childbirth, Carthage has the professionals to evaluate and treat each woman’s needs. Carthage’s physicians and nurse practitioners are:
- Gaston F. DaCosta, MD
- Kimberly Ginyard, MD
- Marie Abougou, MD
- Tina O’Neill, NP
To set up an appointment, please call:
117 N. Mechanic St. Carthage, NY 13619
*Currently accepting new patients*
Carthage is a provider for routine and complex gynecological care for all age groups. From the most advanced laparoscopic surgical interventions to respectfully providing infertility evaluations and treatments, our providers care for a full range of women’s health concerns. Common conditions treated include:
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic surgeries for a variety of conditions such as excessive bleeding, large fibroid uterus, or large ovarian masses.
- Urinary incontinence evaluation and treatment.
- Vaginal and pelvic floor reconstruction for vaginal, uterine, or bladder prolapse.
- Infertility evaluations and treatments.
- Advanced treatments for endometriosis and pelvic pain.
Expectant mothers stay in the same room throughout labor, delivery, recovery, and postpartum (LDRP). These LDRP rooms are directly connected to the operating room for convenience. The fantastic nursing staff is kind, compassionate, and is sensitive to each individual’s privacy concerns.
During the stay, mothers are able to order food from a special OB menu so they may choose their own meals or eat a la carte. Additional optimal care options also include Jacuzzi tubs and free breastfeeding classes.
Carthage Area Hospital features a recently remodeled Maternity Unit. With six birthing beds and 2 observations rooms, the unit provides a pleasant and comfortable atmosphere for the new mom and baby.
The unit also provides:
- Information about pregnancy, labor and delivery
- Childbirth education classes (FREE of Charge – Classes are held as part of a 3-part series each month. Call 315-493-1000 for more information.)
- Breastfeeding classes (FREE of Charge – Classes are held monthly. Call 315-493-1000 for more information.)
- 3 Jacuzzi Tubs & 5 Stand-up showers (see below)
- Day Bed for guest
- Sibling educational tours
- Nutritional assessment and intervention
- Gestational diabetes education
- Smoking cessation referralPlease note: As recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics, Carthage Area Hospital will no longer be providing pacifiers for newborns, beginning December 1, 2014. If you would like your baby to have a pacifier, please feel free to provide your own. Thank you for your understanding.For questions or additional information regarding our programs and services, call 315-493-1000 ext. 2445.
The hospital offers free childbirth classes and tours to patients, even to those who chose to deliver in a different facility. Classes are as a 3-part series held monthly. Anyone interested in more information or signing up for a class or the free tour of the Maternity Unit can call (315) 493-1000.
The hospital offers free breasting classes and tours to patients, even to those who chose to deliver in a different facility. Classes are held monthly. Anyone interested in more information or signing up for a class or the free tour of the Maternity Unit can call (315) 493-1000.
Carthage Area Hospital is a small facility, however, our size allows us to be centered on first-quality patient service, attention, and care. Not only is it the best-kept secret in North County, but also has the shortest ER wait times in the area as well. The hospital also accepts military Tricare and Martin’s Point Insurance. So, when in need of a gynecology appointment, contact us for more information.
New for 2017
Perrywinkle’s Fine Jewelry Partners with Carthage Area Hospital to Provide ‘Hugs of Love’ Pendants to Mothers of Newborns
Jeweler Shows Appreciation for Motherhood with Gift to Honor New Family Members
Perrywinkle’s Fine Jewelry, Watertown, and Carthage Area Hospital announced this week a partnership to provide complimentary “Hugs of Love” pendants to mothers of newborns.
The sterling silver pendants and chain depict parents hugging their children, celebrating the first moment a parent holds their child. The necklaces are available in one- and two-parent versions with up to four children.
The hospital’s maternity staff will provide each mother with a certificate to redeem for a “Hugs of Love” pendant of their choice at Perrywinkle’s after their stay and recovery. The Watertown store is located at 21875 Towne Center Drive at the entrance to Target Plaza.
“We just want to be a part of their growing family,” said Shana Bates, Perrywinkle’s Fine Jewelry sales manager.
Carthage Area Hospital Obstetrics Nurse Manager Mindi Beebe, R.N., said she and the maternity team “sincerely appreciate the new partnership with the jewelry store.”
“This is a very special way to celebrate our mothers,” Beebe said.
The hospital’s obstetrics unit this year celebrates the 10th anniversary of a major renovation that transformed its patient rooms into eight private labor, delivery and recovery suites. Each suite also contains a private bath and shower as well as a daybed for spouses and loved ones to comfortably stay in the room while mothers and newborns recover. Several suites also contain Jacuzzi tubs, in which women may labor.