Women in need of gynecology or obstetrics services in Jefferson, St. Lawrence, and Lewis counties can find caring, compassionate care at Carthage Area Hospital. Doctors, nurses, and staff provide personalized women’s wellness services.
OB/GYN care providers understand that each patient is unique with individual needs and concerns. Whether a patient is seeking a doctor for gynecological care or pregnancy and childbirth, Carthage has the professionals to evaluate and treat each woman’s needs. Carthage’s physicians and nurse practitioners are:
- Gaston F. DaCosta, MD
- Kimberly Ginyard, MD
- Marie Abougou, MD
- Tina O’Neill, NP
To set up an appointment, please call:
117 N. Mechanic St. Carthage, NY 13619
*Currently accepting new patients*
Carthage is a provider for routine and complex gynecological care for all age groups. From the most advanced laparoscopic surgical interventions to respectfully providing infertility evaluations and treatments, our providers care for a full range of women’s health concerns. Common conditions treated include:
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic surgeries for a variety of conditions such as excessive bleeding, large fibroid uterus, or large ovarian masses.
- Urinary incontinence evaluation and treatment.
- Vaginal and pelvic floor reconstruction for vaginal, uterine, or bladder prolapse.
- Infertility evaluations and treatments.
- Advanced treatments for endometriosis and pelvic pain.
Expectant mothers stay in the same room throughout labor, delivery, recovery, and postpartum (LDRP). These LDRP rooms are directly connected to the operating room for convenience. The fantastic nursing staff is kind, compassionate, and is sensitive to each individual’s privacy concerns.
During the stay, mothers are able to order food from a special OB menu so they may choose their own meals or eat a la carte. Additional optimal care options also include Jacuzzi tubs and free breastfeeding classes.
Carthage Area Hospital features a recently remodeled Maternity Unit. With six birthing beds and 2 observations rooms, the unit provides a pleasant and comfortable atmosphere for the new mom and baby.
The unit also provides:
- Information about pregnancy, labor and delivery
- Childbirth education classes (FREE of Charge – Classes are held monthly and are instructed by Certified Childbirth Education Instructor, Kristy Perez. Call 315-493-1000 for more information.)
- Breastfeeding classes (FREE of Charge – Classes are held monthly and are instructed by Certified Breastfeeding Education Instructor, Denise Mueller. Call 315-493-1000 for more information.)
- 3 Jacuzzi Tubs & 5 Stand-up showers (see below)
- Day Bed for guest
- Sibling educational tours
- Nutritional assessment and intervention
- Gestational diabetes education
- Smoking cessation referralPlease note: As recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics, Carthage Area Hospital will no longer be providing pacifiers for newborns, beginning December 1, 2014. If you would like your baby to have a pacifier, please feel free to provide your own. Thank you for your understanding.
For questions or additional information regarding our programs and services, call 315-493-1000 ext. 2445.
The hospital offers free childbirth classes and tours to patients, even to those who chose to deliver in a different facility. Kristy Perez, LPN teaches the classes, which are run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month. Anyone interested in more information or signing up for a class or the free tour of the Maternity Unit can call (315) 493-1000.
The hospital offers free breasting classes and tours to patients, even to those who chose to deliver in a different facility. Denise Mueller, RN teaches the classes, which are run from 4pm-6pm on the first Tuesday of each month. Anyone interested in more information or signing up for a class or the free tour of the Maternity Unit can call (315) 493-1000.
Carthage Area Hospital is a small facility, however, our size allows us to be centered on first-quality patient service, attention, and care. Not only is it the best-kept secret in North County, but also has the shortest ER wait times in the area as well. The hospital also accepts military Tricare and Martin’s Point Insurance. So, when in need of a gynecology appointment, contact us for more information.